[cad-linux] Re: architecture CAD-

  • From: Lars Grobe <grobe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 22:08:54 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

> I'm an Architect here in America

I am student of architecture ind Germany ;-)

There are some more... e.g. Speedikon (www.iez-ag.de) and octree
(www.octree.de). But in fact, I use CAD on a mac in university at the moment.
While I
still hope there might be a formZ 4.0 for Linux in the near future (maybe we
should ask www.autodesys some more times ;-)... Linux is on my own machines, at
home and on the laptop, for special tasks (you mentioned radiance...) and
standards like office and mail.

> > 3d: houdini (or maya? ->I don't know how to get it and
> > i can't pay 6000$)
> No no no :). There are several free 3D rendering or modeling
> packages that would work well for Architecture. Something like
> Maya, while great, is for movie animation and might not suit
> your needs well (besides being $6000!).

There are lots of maya users here at the faculty of architecture, only my
machine is too slow ;-) And afaik there is a free versionb for non-professional
use ?

> Look into Blender, a GPL 3D software:
> http://www.blender3d.org/
> It's interface isn't good (IMHO) but some people are able to
> do some impressive work with it, and it's free.

If I only could understand the interface ...

Did anybody hear news about Microstation on Linux?

CU, Lars.