[cad-linux] Re: OT: Open data formats (continuation of previous thread)

  • From: lee.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:21:29 -0700

You're correct, DWF doesn't solve the problem of reusing very old designs --
that's a tough nut to crack.  As I mentioned before, we really do need to
change our native design formats to continue to improve our products.  So, you
should expect those changes to continue.  And, the mathematics of large numbers
means we can't continue to support all old software and continue to make new
software. I understand the problem, though.

Being able to build upon previous works is a completely legitimate expectation.
 Human knowledge has been acquired layer by layer so far, and I don't see that
process changing soon.  The problem for CAD is that up until very recently
there were only three categories of data formats: 1) Native, live data; 2)
Exchange data(import/export); and 3) Archived data.  None of which has the
features you need.

DesignXML _might_ provide a solution, but only time will tell.

...snip...