[cad-linux] Re: OT: Open data formats (continuation of previous thread)

  • From: Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 23 Sep 2002 21:02:05 +0100

On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 20:38, lee.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Guy, what part of the license is problematic?

ok, I was a bit vague, lets have a look......

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/item/0,,823774-123112,00.html

These really are questions rather than critisisms so please point out if
I've misunderstood something. (as I'm sure you will :-)

1.
 "...and Licensee shall have no right to distribute the Licensed
Software, i.e., the Source Code, except that Licensee may post to the
Internet only those modifications to the Source Code created by Licensee
during porting..."

Why is it not possible to distribute that code? Autodesk has made it
public, if I'm allowed to distribute it then I know that the code will
always be around. I can post it to an archive on the web and I know that
there's a good chance someone will still be able to write something that
uses this code in 10 years time (don't know why they would, but it's
just an example), despite any changes to Autodesk.

I may have misunderstood this, later on in the licence it says I can
distribute binary versions of the file. Why not just let the source code
be distributed too?

2.
  "Autodesk owns all modifications, enhancements and bug fixes made to
the Licensed Software by or for Licensee; provided that Licensee shall
retain all rights to any independently developed software, such as
applications, developed by or for Licensee."

Ouch. I don't mean to sound like a hippy, but I enjoy helping projects
in my spare time, I feel like I'm actually contributing to good
software, a good idea, not a monopolistic company. This bit really would
put me off using Autodesks code as all my work would belong to them by
default, no credit, no thanks. Maybe I haven't explained this very well
but I hope you get the general idea. I think the others here are better
at explaining this kind of point.

3.
It says:

  "Use of the Licensed Software in accordance with the terms of this
Agreement shall not require payment of a license fee."

but then it says:

  "This Agreement shall continue until it is terminated by Autodesk."

So it seems Autodesk could terminate the licence and write a new one
when it feels like? I can't imagine that not making people nervous. In
fairness it does say Autodesk has to notify the licencee in writing but
even so, it's a case of "we're going to chance the licence, end of
story"

Guy