[cad-linux] Re: OT: Open data formats (continuation of previous thread)

  • From: Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 23 Sep 2002 20:09:04 +0100

On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 19:46, lee.harding@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
[big snip]

> A specific problem has been presented: how to preserve access to data over
> the very long term.  I don't know the solution, but I'm working on it.  I
> think DWF is a well-designed solution given my understanding of the problem.
> My fear is that 5 years down the road we may discover that our solution of
> today is wrong -- it isn't in my companies interest to invest in something
> that won't work.

If the licence on Autodesks code that was provided for dwf applications
was a little less restrictive, maybe others could do more developing of
the dwf format for you and find new ways of using it that you might use
in the future. I doubt there are many other projects that are going to
make Autodesk worry about the standard deviating.

If people could distribute that code, they'd always be able to include
support for dwf without fear of Autodesk disappearing or having a slight
change of heart.

Can you make the licence more friendly?

Guy