[cad-linux] Re: FreeCad

  • From: Kim Lux <lux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 12 Jan 2003 13:57:17 -0700

Comments below.

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 13:26, Dan Falck wrote:
> There are several projects called "FreeCad".

I guess that explains a few things.

> There is at least one on
> sourceforge and there is the one programmed in smalltalk by a person who
>goes by the name of "askoh". I have been confused by this in the past.

Actually, sourceforge just cleaned out its CAD repository.  I did a
search before Christmas and found over a dozen linux CADs, most of which
were project plans only.

> It appears that the Opencascade libraries are starting to be used a lot.
> Tomcad, FreeCad (sourceforge), Freeengineer, and LignumCad are some that
>   use opencascade. I like the idea of using an existing group of code to
> accelerate developement of a CAD program.

That was why I was interested in Varkon.  It sounded like the most
complete and powerful source available.

> I am not a programmer, but
> kind of watch these things.

I'm a developer of sorts, but very busy.

--
Kim Lux <lux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>