[cad-linux] Re: Is there a linux/opensource CAD to CAM (gcode) translator?

  • From: mk@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:33:56 +0100 (MEZ)

>I've made some progress with a DXF to gcode conversion app using python
>and Tkinter,  but I kinda just want to start using my machine.

The upcoming 3.4.3 release of the HPGL converter GNU hp2xx will have
rudimentary G-code output. (It should be usable for engraving and
hobbyist work, but i would definitely _not_ recommend it for serious machine
tooling at least for now. It is also most definitely not endorsed by my
employer.). So if you can live with the limitation of using HPGL as the
intermediate format (which gets translated into line sequences), you might
want to check it out. (currently on
http://ruby.chemie.uni-freiburg.de/~martin, soon on ftp.gnu.org)
But from my experience - and i have worked six years in this CAD/CAM software
development company now, first on HPUX, now on Linux - for serious work you
will need tight integration of CAM and CAD.

Martin
--
Dr. Martin Kroeker, daveg gmbh Darmstadt  CAD/CAM/CAQ  mk@xxxxxxxxx
                      Precision Powered by Penguins