[cad-linux] Re: CAD for Schools (UK)

  • From: Christopher Sean Morrison <morrison@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:37:02 -0500

The sources to BRL-CAD are presently held in CVS on Sourceforge in the
'brlcad' module.  Barring any Sourceforge revision control issues, the
usual process for non-developers to obtain the sources from CVS would be:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/brlcad login
[ press enter, no password required ]
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/brlcad co -P
brlcad
cd brlcad
./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-optimized
make
sudo make install

To then run the BRL-CAD benchmark suite (computes a system performance
metric) you run:

/usr/brlcad/bin/benchmark

The next tool most people are usually interested in running is the GUI
solid modeler:

/usr/brlcad/bin/mged

There are roughly 400 other tools related to procedural geometry, image
processing, geometry conversions, and signal processing.  You can of
course avoid typing the directory by adding /usr/brlcad/bin to your PATH.

There are more details in the README and INSTALL files.  The compilation
process under Windows is rather different (see the doc/README.Windows
file), but for the other systems the only assumptions are that your system
has a compiler, the GNU build system tools (autoconf, automake, libtool),
a posix shell environment, and basic terminal capabilities.  You can get
rid of the assumption about having the GBS tools installed by using one of
the source tarballs available on the project website.

Cheers!
Sean

BRL-CAD Open Source
http://brlcad.org