[cad-linux] Re: CAD for Schools (UK)

  • From: "Lars O. Grobe" <grobe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:36:28 +0200

> from my investigations so far it seems that Varkon has the parametrics,
 > Salome has the integration of different modules and FreeCAD has the
interface (but
> not much else) Kreative3D has a nice wiki but no code. Isn't it about time
> someone got these open source guys to co-operate?

Hi!

Actually there is a problem, as the programs mentioned address different
need. I agree 100% that the big point for a working oss cad is
cooperation between different projects. But it is not three cad systems
that can be combined. Instead it is possible and useful to combine e.g.
2d-engine, 3d-(csg/...)-engine, object database, gui etc. The power of
open source is that this is possible. If you try to enhance a 2d app
with 3d, add 2d cad functionality to a modeler, etc, you will have some
thankful users imediately (that is why I would still like to see such
cooperation in a way of easy dataexchange at least), but get a
suboptimal design which will be hard to evolve.

By the way, that is why I am so excited about brlcad - as it is a
package of small tools and libraries that other apps could refer to,
without the need to take what is not wanted or needed. So e.g. a
3d-project such as freecad could easily use all its functionality.

Lars.