[cad-linux-dev] uber-converter

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 00:13:57 -0700

Work continues on the uber-converter.  This coming month will probably
see a release of sorts, with support for most-things dxf and likely
svg.  The dxf reader currently supports most of the 2D entities and the
3D forms of them.  The current speed bump (or cliff) is the linetypes.
Looking at some of the other implementations, its clear that I have a
ways to go before these make a lot of sense (think "gas line" linetype
and you'll see that these get really tangled into text styles, fonts,
etc.)

I've moved to Portland, OR and started an independent software
consultant business, so writing the rhizopod components of the
uber-converter is currently my full-time job.  Does this mean the
uber-converter is commercial?  Of course.  Does my business plan
involve proprietary software in any way?  Of course not.  I'm not doing
dual-licensing, secret add-ons, or any of that silly stuff.  I'll
provide paid support, but the development is 100% open-source.

Currently, I'm working on some code for an automagic build system, which
should make it easier for me to turn out tarballs for my 53 perl
modules.  In the next few weeks, I should have a spear in the head of
that demon and nightly builds on the website to show for it.

Looking at the requests for new import/export formats in brlcad.
There's a lot of potential to leverage the hub concept here.  Most of
these are just triangles.  While we're probably not talking pure
rhizopod, hub-is-a-node tells us that there's potential to cover a lot
of ground fairly quickly.  The upcoming progression of the dxf
connector likely lays the groundwork for most of this, and we might
even be able to squeeze the .blend format in there somewhere.

If anyone's interested, drop me a note, get on #cadfs, etc.

--Eric
--
We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals.
                                    -- Quarry worker's creed