[cad-linux-dev] Re: uber-converter

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 15:06:02 -0500

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Lee Harding
# on Tuesday 08 June 2004 12:17 pm:

>I talked about this once before, and I mention it again because I think
>that the entire idea of a "hub" is flawed.

>The folks at dear, departed Be, Inc. figured this out already.  See the
>documentation of the Translation Kit[1] for the details.  It's a good
>architecture, though not without warts.

from:
http://www.beunited.org/bebook/The Translation Kit/Translation Kit Intro.html

"
It is often convenient to define a baseline format to which all translators of
a given media group adhere. An application that understands the baseline
format could then use all the translators for that group. This also
simplifies the job of the translator, which minimally needs only to translate
between the baseline and the new formats. Well-behaved translators will
always be able to translate to and from the default media format (if one
exists for its media group).
"

What's the difference between a "hub" and a "baseline" ?