[bvipilots] Re: Direct GPS navigation, or high Altitude Airways?

  • From: "Ron Kolesar" <kolesar16417@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bvipilots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:09:27 -0500

Thanks Christian.
I had this question as well.
Maybe we just might learn a thing or two.
Maybe Radi can educate us on the setting of auto breaks when landing.
Robert just told me that the normal setting is at setting two.
Would you ever need to set it to a different settint?
If so, while landing, when and why?
Many Many Thanks.
The Blind Pilot and his trusty four pawed copilot.

-----Original Message----- From: Christian
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2011 2:03 PM
To: bvipilots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ; bvipilots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bvipilots] Re: Direct GPS navigation, or high Altitude Airways?

Hi Hadi,
First of all, nice to see you on this list!
I just have a question. I have heared that one should also after setting the GPS switch to GPS one should also enable VOR navigation. I have heared others flying without turning VOR on. So my question is, why should one also turn that on?
Many thanks,
Christian

On 2011-11-27 at 21:35 hadi rezaei wrote:

hello captains
so here, i'm going to explain
direct GPS, vs high/low alt airways.

so basicly, when you switch your navigation devices to GPS
(auto-route-following) your autopilot will take the lead
when you  do "auto pilot on", you will turn on your  main auto pilot
system, which controls the, navigation systems (heading, corse, GPS),
altitude, virticle rate speed, your airspeed (by ajusting the throttle
automaticly) your engine temprature, your trims.
here, we have the auto pilot on.
now on navigation GPS.
when you make your filePlan with FS, FS will draw a route on the map for
you. from your departure to your destination.
now. when you select "direct GPS", fs will draw this route, directly from
your departure to your distination. by direct i mean you don't have any
turns, or intersections in your route.
so when you cruise, you will head directly to your destination without
changing headings on the air (when your GPS is on.)
saying this, if you choose direct GPS, then when you switch your nav GPS
on, if you ask michel "get the directions to the airport", she replys with
"the airport is at our 12 ocl" it means that you're heading directly to
your destination.
(in the real world, 90% of the times pilots are not allowed to do this, it
will ruind the traffic, and the aircrafts will crash to each other if they
all fly direct)
now when you choose "high or low alt airways"
fs will draw a normal (depend on the world routes) route for you, with
intersections, and some turns in your cruise way.
like, when you go over of some waypoints, you will change headings
slightly, and follow the road. your NAV GPS will lead the aircraft,
turning left and right  on the air ways.

so with all of these, i hope i could explain the diffrense to you, and how
the navigation GPS works.
note: GPS doesn't exist in real world. in real world, there is a FMC
(flight management control) installed on all aircrafts, and when a pilot
fills all the information that FMC needs, FMC will lead the aircraft on
cruise, like the GPS thing which we have.

if i couldn't explain this thing, or my sentenses didn't make sense,
please  tell me so i might be able to do this.
after all, you need to know what are you doing in the aircraft instead of
just sitting and  say soem commands repeatedly.
ron said that there might be other options.
so basicly, "FMC" "manual nav, which you should change heading yourself
when you can see the map visually, or sometimes the ATC will give the
headings to you if you want".

you have this mail from hadi

From: kolesar16417@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: bvipilots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 12:05:30 -0500

I always make sure that my nav GPS is set to GPS.
Never heard of the other options.
HTH.