[bsg] RRNWR Headquarters Unit- 08/03/14 FOF Alder Flycatcher

  • From: Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 12:14:36 -0500

Hi all, Few are the times (at least in my experience) when one goes out
with the express intention of getting an early fall migration extralimital
date for a select species and is successful. Today was such a day! Mark
Wilson and I birded the overlook, then ran to the Chocolate trail in back
of the unit. On our 3rd stop there, we finally heard an Alder Flycatcher
giving low, almost whispered songs, trills and the sibilant, whistled
"turreyih" or "turyih" calls. I was successful in recording the calls and
song. With the recent, somewhat oddly-timed cold front, it really wasn't
all that surprising. The bird was approximately .14 miles North of the
Southwest end of the trail on the East side- at the exact portion of trail
where the continuous rough-leaf dogwood edge drops in elevation slightly
and mostly ends, then continues on as swamp privet/mix edge with numerous
dead saplings and assorted vines.

 Things were quite slow in terms of other small land birds and there were
few suspected land bird migrants. White-eyed Vireo numbers were up from
previous survey (most locals) but no REVI. One adult Northern Parula and a
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher were the only other probable dispersals. Summer
Tanagers were up at 3 from zero during previous visit but were possibly
just missed, then. Double-crested Cormorant showed a pulse with 9
individuals. The local Pied-billed Grebe population is even healthier than
I suspected with 19 birds counted today- mostly young. Looks like the heat
might be back for awhile!

Good birding,

Terry