[bsg] Fwd: eBird Report - Kincaid Reservoir, Aug 5, 2014

  • From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bsg <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 20:35:18 -0500 (CDT)

BIRD STUDY GROUP
Birding has been less than stellar at the beginning of August in the Alexandria
area. There wasn't much special around the J. H. Overton Lock and Dam No. 2 on
the Red River yesterday nor at nearby Elbow Slough WMA. I only walked around
the west end of Elbow Slough WMA which has been prepared for the annual Labor
Day lottery dove hunt. However, the huge impoundment is very wet and low areas
were holding water with a few Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Little Blue Heron,
Cattle Egret, Green Heron, and White Ibis in the wet areas and a single
Pectoral Sandpiper. There might have been more waders and shorebirds at the
east, low end of the impoundment.

The riparian area around Lock and Dam No. 2 and the Kincaid Reservoir dam has
plenty of dogwood fruit forming and may attract songbird migrants eventually.

This would be a really bad time to do a big day in Rapides Parish.