[bsg] RRNWR Bayou Pierre Unit, Yates Tract/ Red River Par- FNI for Alder Flycatcher- 5, 3 GADW 08/08/14

  • From: Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 20:13:06 -0500

Good evening birders,

Jeff and I had a slow but enjoyable morning birding yates for 3 hours
today. We had 55 spp with best notes being -

Gadwall- 3. basic-plumaged birds at barn pond. First thought at a distance
bare-eyed to be BWTE- until a look through bins showed the square heads,
then flashing bold white squares in secondaries as they rose and flew to
southeast. This seems extremely early! I could not prove the Elm Grove
birds found earlier this season weren't injured- but these were certainly
healthy. It was certainly odd finding these, yet no Blue-winged Teal....

Alder Flycatcher- 5- First noted increase- found in groups of 2, 1, 2,

Short-billed Dowitcher- 1 non age-able (bad angle) but close flyby calling.

Long-billed Dowitcher- 2 rather worn adults- all in unit 4. The only
shorebirds found away from unit 4 today were - 1 Solitary sandpiper and 2
Killdeer in recently plowed unit 2. First noted increase for Killdeer.

A Field Sparrow and Bell's Vireo were both singing at the stretch of
Baccharis/mix adjacent unit 7 and levee. This is .35 mile north of the bird
heard during previous survey.

We had a notably high number of Little Blue Heron today. A juv Tricolored
Heron in unit 4 was unusual. Unit 3 is chock full of waders. However,
shorebirds that are frequently found there after it's been recently plowed
in past seasons seem to be avoiding it like the plague now- for two surveys
in a row!

More details at

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox?compose=147b852828f7f243

Good birding,