[bsg] Shreveport Bird Study group shorebird outing to RRNWR Bayou Pierre/ Yates tract

  • From: Terry Davis <terkchip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 19:11:30 -0500

Hi all, Despite overnight N winds, nine intrepid observers joined Larry and
I headed to Yates tract at 7 o'clock this morning in search of shorebirds.
Things looked bleak early in the campus parking lot with piles of European
Starlings atop the radio tower but few other birds, other than a double
handful of American Robin overhead moving South, noted on the move.
However, the N winds hadn't quite kicked in and conditions were a bit more
calm the closer we got toward Yates. Quite a few shorebirds were still
lingering. A single Field Sparrow singing along the levee was nice. A noisy
Bell's Vireo in the Baccharis adjacent moist soil unit 7 was great, too-
although the aforementioned 2 species are almost expected there now.
Charlie Lyon met up with us a little later in the morning. We ended the day
with 65 spp, although a few were added by Charlie slightly after the group
had left. We had 12 species of shorebird, not including dowitcher sp. Most
notable birds were-

Black-bellied Whistling Duck- 2. Barn Pond/ Rosemary and Hubert
Roseate Spoonbill- 1 Barn pond by RS, HH
Semipalmated Sandpiper- 4
Buff-breasted Sandpiper- 18. Photo by Ronnie of group in flight overhead.
Numbers flagged by ebird.
Common Tern- alternate ad by Charlie- super early! photos

Ebird also flagged a count of 9 Solitary Sandpipers.

More details at-

I couldn't resist a quick 1.5 mile walk among the willows and roughleaf
dogwood atop and adjacent the long sandbar at Marie Hamel on the way home.
However, a quick search there yesterday morning, then today walk, revealed
no early Alder Flycatcher- or any other migrants, for that matter.

Good birding