[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Shreveport W Quad, Jan 11, 2014

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 14:15:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi all, Charlie Lyon and I had a decent day on Cross Lake yesterday- especially
considering lake conditions after mid morning!

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 4:12 PM, "do-not-reply@xxxxxxxxx"
<do-not-reply@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Shreveport W Quad, Caddo, US-LA
Jan 11, 2014 7:50 AM - 12:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.3 mile(s)
Comments:     Birded with Charlie Lyon. Two observers, 5 hours (0750-1250), 6.3
miles. Clear, 41 degrees, wind calm/ light-~5 N-w beginning. Clear, 61 degrees,
wind 8 N-w ending. Charlie and I birded Shreveport West quad portions of Cross
Lake by boat- also including land areas of Cross Lake- including portions of S
Lakeshore and Ford Park. Best note for this quad was 11 White-breasted
Nuthatch. High numbers of RBGU arriving back from S around 1 was impressive,
too. Although the winds weren't yet up too bad, the lake was choppy and had the
consistency of chocolate milk- soaking and nearly beating us to death on the
way back to get gas before the second run! Lol. Excellent activity early near
YC entrance and FP.
63 species (+1 other taxa)

Wood Duck  2
Mallard (Domestic type)  57
Northern Shoveler  11     6,5
Canvasback  15
Bufflehead  120
Ruddy Duck  96
Pied-billed Grebe  11
Double-crested Cormorant  407
American White Pelican  77
Great Blue Heron  64     Amazing nos!
Great Egret  47
Black Vulture  6
Turkey Vulture  12
Sharp-shinned Hawk  2     ad f, then male at sep locations
Cooper's Hawk  1     juv m to N-e
Bald Eagle  1     ad
Red-shouldered Hawk  1     FP
Red-tailed Hawk  2     1,1 including 1 ad
American Coot  224
Spotted Sandpiper  1     YC pier
Bonaparte's Gull  72
Ring-billed Gull  4000     There were 1250 soon after we arrived, ~3000 during
our gas run, with 350+ arriving from South just before we left, then final
count taken shortly after 4:30 on the way back to the yacht club. Count
conservative!
Herring Gull  5     4 juv, 1 advanced 2nd cycle/ 3 year
Forster's Tern  35
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  2
Mourning Dove  2
Belted Kingfisher  1     Low!!
Red-bellied Woodpecker  10
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  3
Downy Woodpecker  6
Northern Flicker  5
Eastern Phoebe  3
Blue Jay  13
American Crow  4
Fish Crow  1
Carolina Chickadee  11
Tufted Titmouse  9
White-breasted Nuthatch  11     Much song/ activity. 3-4 early at yacht club,
then 3 on S end of Ford park immediately after, with yacht club birds still
there upon our return, then 2,1,1,1 at scattered orchard-like habitat of
various back yards along S shore of lake from W to E
Brown-headed Nuthatch  8
Brown Creeper  3     Has been amazingly hard to find this winter until now!
Single location- in dense mature baldcypress near end of pier at Ford Park
Winter Wren  8     4-5 at FP
Carolina Wren  10
Golden-crowned Kinglet  3     2,1- for another previously tough to find sp this
winter.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  8
Eastern Bluebird  12
American Robin  1
Brown Thrasher  1
Northern Mockingbird  14
European Starling  5
Cedar Waxwing  33
Orange-crowned Warbler  7     3-4 at FP
Pine Warbler  24     Nearly all at FP
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  43
Chipping Sparrow  2
Field Sparrow  1     Decent for S Lake at this time, especially since they've
been keeping waters edge more clean at FP
White-throated Sparrow  33
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)  20     Many looked cismontanus- group on
ground and in bushes near entrance gate.
Northern Cardinal  38
Red-winged Blackbird  24
Rusty Blackbird  2     Calling and observed fairly high to E at YC entrance
gate early at 0810
Common Grackle  2
House Finch  11     Much resurgence in song from males the past several days.
American Goldfinch  17
House Sparrow  34

View this checklist online at

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/la/)