[Bristol-Birds] Sullivan Cty water areas

  • From: Roy & Robin Knispel <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 21:29:53 -0500

Rick Knight, Charles Moore, and I birded a number of water areas in Sullivan County today. Rick has already reported on Bristol Birds the new Great Blue Heron nesting area he discovered from the S. Holston Lake Dam overlook.

We started with a stop on Riverside Rd. along the S. Holston River to observe the Eagles' nest near Bluff City. One Bald Eagle was in a tree near the nest, but we couldn't see an eagle on the nest from the road.

We then proceeded along Big Springs Rd. along the S. Holston River to the area where Red-headed Woodpeckers reside. We saw one, as well as 3 Wood Ducks and 13 Bufflehead along the River.

Charles and I thank Rick for showing us these locations.

Other observational highlights:

Riverside Dr. upstream from the Webb Bridge:
Wood Ducks                    2 pr.
Hooded Merganser              1 pr.
Coot                          1

Paddle Creek Pond:
Green-winged Teal             3
Red-tailed Hawk               1
Wilson's Snipe                6

Weir Dam:
Bufflehead                   12
Ruddy Duck                    2

S. Holston Lake Dam overlook:
Great Blue Herons --rookery--see Rick's post
Common Loon                  1
Horned Grebe                 2
Raft of 65 ducks too far out to identify all--Scaup and Redheads were included
Coot                         9

Rooty Branch Rd. beaver pond:
Gadwall                      2

Pemberton Rd.:
Am. Kestrel                  2

Musick's Campground:
Lesser Scaup                15
Horned Grebe                 8
Pied-billed Grebe            2
Eared Grebe                  1
Killdeer                     1
Ring-billed Gull            40+
Bonaparte's Gull            30+

Middlebrook Lake:
Wood Duck                    2
Ring-necked Duck            32
Redhead                      3
Pied-billed Grebe            1
Coot                        50
Ring-billed Gull         ~2500 and more coming in as we observed

Roy Knispel
Johnson City

begin:vcard
fn:Roy Knispel