[Bristol-Birds] Shady Valley Sighting

  • From: "Don Carrier" <donc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:38:27 -0400

This evening in Shady Valley at Orchard bog I spotted a large white bird
interacting with a Blue Heron. Both would emerge from the tall grass and
then retreat back to cover. I witnessed this behavior several times from
8:15 PM until dark around 9:00pm. There was a great distance between the
birds and I and they appeared to be closer to the Orchard Bog road than my
location at the Nature Conservancy site. I relocated to the Bog road and one
more display was observed, however just as far away. If I were to hazard a
guess I would say an great egret although I really do not know. It was
comparable in size to the Blue Heron.

Anyone else spotted this one?

Don Carrier
Bristol, Tennessee