[Bristol-Birds] Musicks Campground

  • From: "Mike" <hawk036@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 18:51:25 -0500

                 I went to Musicks Campground this evening to get a look at
the Rufous Hummingbird. Mae Musick listed on the sign in sheet that she last
saw the hummer at 5:10 pm yesterday 1-11-2010. I looked for a while with no
luck so I left and went to Osceola Island for a quick run through. I then
returned to Musicks to try one more time, Mae came out and talked to me, and
she said the hummer was really eating a lot last night, more than normal.
She felt it has moved on, as she hasn't seen it all day and considering the
way it was eating last night she is probably right. I hope nothing has
happened to it.

            I did see a red-tail hawk on a kill in a field, I stopped to get
a look and it flew up in a tree. While I was enjoying it, I noticed another
red-tail was sitting across from it in the same tree. Both were adults, but
I didn't notice any significant size difference. Are the red-tails preparing
for the mating season this early? They seemed to be playing, hopping from
one limb to another. I also found a red phase eastern screech owl in one of
Mae's owl boxes, it was sitting in the entrance waiting until dark to hunt.

The complete list from today is below.

Mike Sanders

Bristol, VA

Sighting Record Listing - 1/12/2010 - 1/12/2010

Canada Goose Osceola Island Weir Dam TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 12 = /TA

Eastern Bluebird Osceola Island Weir Dam TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 8 = /TA

Mallard Osceola Island Weir Dam TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 14 = /TA

Bufflehead Osceola Island Weir Dam TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 43 = /TA

Ring-necked Duck Osceola Island Weir Dam TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 20 = /TA

Northern Cardinal Osceola Island Weir Dam TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 2 = /TA

Chipping Sparrow Osceola Island Weir Dam TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Downy Woodpecker Osceola Island Weir Dam TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Downy Woodpecker Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Northern Cardinal Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 30 = /TA

White-throated Sparrow Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 15 = /TA

House Sparrow Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 15 = /TA

Tufted Titmouse Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 12 = /TA

Carolina Chickadee Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 8 = /TA

House Finch Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 7 = /TA

White-breasted Nuthatch Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 3 = /TA

Red-bellied Woodpecker Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Mourning Dove Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 35 = /TA

Eastern Towhee Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 4 = /TA

Dark-eyed Junco Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 12 = /TA

Song Sparrow Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 5 = /TA

Carolina Wren Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 1 = /TA

White-crowned Sparrow Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 5 = /TA

Northern Mockingbird Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 1 = /TA

European Starling Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 3 = /TA

Field Sparrow Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 2 = /TA

Chipping Sparrow Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 1 = /TA

American Crow Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 4 = /TA

Cooper's Hawk Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Eastern Screech-Owl  (Red Phase) Musicks Campground TN US Jan 12, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Northern Mockingbird Washington VA VA US Jan 12, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Pileated Woodpecker Washington VA VA US Jan 12, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Red-tailed Hawk Washington VA VA US Jan 12, 2010

= 2 = /TA

American Kestrel Washington VA VA US Jan 12, 2010

= 1 = /TA