[brailleblaster] UTF-16 Gemoetric Shapes

  • From: Keith Creasy <kcreasy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 15:04:13 +0000

All.

There is a whole set of geometric shapes in UTF/Unicode. In a book I was just
looking at, "Applying Life Skills" the character \x25C6 for example is a black
diamond and is really being used like a bullet. I added it to my local chardefs
but now I'm wondering if there is a more systematic approach that is
appropriate for things like this. I can imagine that in some textbooks these
characters might not be significant or might denote something else. Maybe there
needs to be an easy way in the UI for users to define how such characters are
treated.

Keith Creasy
Software Developer
American Printing House for the Blind