[brailleblaster] Re: Start of Editor

  • From: Chris von See <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:08:26 -0800

I would be interested to hear more about why you want to modify JDOM. I've built many parse trees and other similar structures using the SAX callbacks documented in the "org.xml.sax" package in the JDK; if you're using Java 6 you can also use the stream-oriented StAX classes in the "javax.xml.stream" package, which may be a bit easier to deal with. In both cases you'd be using SAX or StAX to read the input tree and JDOM to build your parse tree instead of modifying the tree built by JDOM, which is a little bit more work but IMO much cleaner and easier to maintain.

Cheers
Chris

On Nov 12, 2010, at 12:27 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:

A few weeks ago I sent the eclipse.swt TextEditor as an attachment. On
this message I am attaching SAXBuilderDemo.java from the JDOM samples
directory. I also resending TextEditor.java for your convenience. I
think that we can combine these two to get a start on our editor.

One thing I would like advice on is the copyright notice that should
appear at the beginning of each class. I could copy the liblouis
copyright notice with appropriate changes, but you will notice that the
authors already have some conditions that they wish respected. We will
be modifying their code, of course. We may also want to dig down to the
SAX level so we can modify the parse tree as it is being built. This
will mean modifying a few classes in JDOM itself. Eclipse may also have
some conditions on the reuse of their code.

Please give your comments and suggestionsj regarding the copytight
issue.

Thanks,
John B.

<SAXBuilderDemo.java><TextEditor.java>