[brailleblaster] Re: Linux version working

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 17:03:46 +0100

Regarding having a screen reader reading the wrong thing when navigating; sometimes I have found this can be dependent on the performance of the computer one is running it on, although in my experience it tends to be more of a problem for faster computers than slow ones. As an example in Eclipse on my desktop (the faster computer) I have NVDA reading both the item you move from and the item you move to when moving around the project explorer tree view, but on my laptop I only get the item I move to spoken. There are other occasions when my desktop has difficulties, the Jaws installer was an interesting case.

Unfortunately accessibility is a sufficiently complicated thing with many components and processes involved that some of these issues might not really be possible to solve for all computers, or at least from the BrailleBlaster side of things.

Michael Whapples
On 10/05/2013 14:22, Vic Beckley wrote:
As stated in my previous message, after updating the swt.jar file
BrailleBlaster NewDesign is working fine under Linux. I haven't gotten that
error once yet. The views are scrolling together to the character and
everything else that I tried worked just fine. It is working pretty much
just like the Windows version. Orca does have some trouble keeping up with
the cursor in the text view, but so does NVDA. Orca will often read what you
left instead of what you landed on. This is when moving by line and word.
Moving by paragraphs also throws it off just like in Windows. Overall, this
is a tremendous success, though.

Best regards from Ohio,

Vic