[brailleblaster] Important Next Step: Locking semantic action or style for specific elements in a specific document

  • From: Keith Creasy <kcreasy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 16:15:32 +0000

All.

This needs some thought and discussion particularly among the developers. I
really knew it would be one of the first things users asked about, and indeed
it is. Let me start with the use-case:

A braille transcriber opens a NIMAS document using BrailleBlaster. The document
contains a lot of <strong> elements which are, according to the nimas.sem file
bolded in braille.The transcriber realises that the publisher used <strong> a
lot more than would be desired or useful in braille so she wants to remove the
bold symbols from the braille for specific <strong> or sections of the book
containing <strong> elements. How do we implement this in BrailleBlaster or
LibLouisUTDML?

This might apply to other elements as well, such as a heading, emphasis, or a
particular list. We are basically talking about making exceptions to the base
semantic attribute for a specific element or group of elements  for a specific
document and making this easy to do from the GUI.

Brandon and I talked about possibilities but I don't want to share them until
others have had a chance to think about it.

Thanks.

Keith

Keith Creasy
Software Developer