[brailleblaster] Re: Help File

  • From: "Vic Beckley" <vic.beckley3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 08:31:00 -0400

François,

Good start on the documentation. Here are my comments:

You say:
If you have not yet installed BrailleBlaster please download the
installation package
that is appropriate for your computer
hardware and software (32 or 62-bit, Windows, Mac or Linux). The
installation package
is available here:

There is now no need for different packages for Windows. At least change it
to 64-bit instead of 62-bit.

You say:
Note that BrailleBlaster is a Java(?) application that requires a Java(?)
run-time
environment or equivalent.

This sounds a little technical to me for a simple tutorial.

You say:
BrailleBlaster can use a simple embosser without the need for special
software. Please
consult your manufacturer's instructions on how to install your embosser.
You will
need to create a print queue that processes plain text as a format.

Do most users know how to create a print queue that processes plain text as
a format? I don't.

You say:
Text View
This is where the text (black) of a document is created, displayed or
edited.
Normally the cursor will be placed here when you first start BrailleBlaster.

What does "(black)" mean?

You say:
Translating the Text
Click on theTranslate
item on the tool bar: you should now see characters displayed in the Braille
View.

As many of the intended users will be blind and blind users won't be
clicking on the toolbar, the alternative menu method should be presented
here too. Of course, this will change if automatic translation is
introduced.

You say:
TheEmboss
menu item should bring up a popup panel that allows you to choose the print
queue

Users don't send documents to a print queue. They send them to a printer.

Of course, these are just my thoughts. Take them or leave them. Good start.

Best regards from Ohio, U.S.A.,

Vic
E-mail: vic.beckley3@xxxxxxxxx