[brailleblaster] Re: Help File

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 07:22:38 +0100

Graphical content should and must be installed locally.

Reasons: If a user is using the software without an internet connection they would not have access to any graphical content. As some of the users may be sighted (eg. teachers preparing Braille documents for blind students), they would appreciate things like screen shots.

You pointed out that these images may need updating as BrailleBlaster develops, well if going with that then why install any documentation? I believe though that is poorly based. The user will have a version of BrailleBlaster installed on their system, that version will stay the same unless they update the software. This means that for a given installation the images will not need updating.

Further to this, relying on the internet for information on something you have installed locally is not necessarily a good thing, what if the user is running an old version, what they see won't match current documentation on the website. You may respond with, "Then they should update the software", but what if they cannot (eg. they are just a teacher and so don't have suitable rights to do so, to install/update software they need to get IT in to do it).

If you are concerned over space required, then as I said the installer can make certain components optional, having them selected or deselected by default as you wish.

Michael Whapples
On 03/10/2012 22:59, John J. Boyer wrote:
Tutorials and documentation, unless they include graphical elements
(binary files), should always be included. Graphical elements should be
on the website, since they will change as BrailleBlaster develops.

John

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 09:55:41PM +0100, Michael Whapples wrote:
One question: Will we want documentation as a separate component which
the user can select/deselect for installation in the installer? If it
were a separate component I would suggest making it selected by default.
NSIS would support this very easily.

Michael Whapples
On 03/10/2012 20:36, John J. Boyer wrote:
This is a good start on the tutorial. I'm trying to get screenshots to
use on the website.

John

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 12:21:02PM -0400, Francois wrote:
Hi,

This is a fragment of what I have been working on. It is pure HTML and
should be easy to view and use to anyone.

Feedback please.

F.