[brailleblaster] Re: Draft 2 of BrailleBlaster Design

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 22:24:07 -0600

Hi John --
or should I say "go john go!"?
It sounds like you have had an active day.  I'm just getting to
brailleblaster now this evening and have some comments.
First, as to Yuemei's question in the word processor classes, rather than
write 3 classes for braille, print and common for shared data and methods,
why don't you exploit inheritance and make the print and braille window
controllers subclasses of a general windowpane class that would replace the
common class?
Since no one knows how the implementation is going to evolve, nothing is set
in stone until Yuemei starts working on it. But I agree it is a good idea to
have something and change it than have no solution at all.

Second, I looked at the input and output directories and have some questions
about the design.
First, the input classes are pretty straightforward and this is apparently
where calls to any shared code such as tika will be called to input and
translate different file formats.  Given the implementation of tika and its
design to translate to text and SAX events rather than a JDOM or DOM4J, I
still consider the use of tika to be a big question mark; but I don't know
what else is out there that handles so many file types.
I have looked closely at parts of tika's source.  I think the design is
good -- and indeed it was an impressive example of production quality java
which was a big help in my learning of the language.  But I have no
particular attachment to it if something else is better.

Finally, the output directory has a stub class defined, but I am wondering
what functionality will go there.
Is there special processing that is needed for different embossers? What
should go here?
If it is blank, perhaps I could do some of that, and I am wondering about
offering to work on the input directory also, once I finish the things JohnB
has asked me to do.

Just a thought.
Comments?
--le