[brailleblaster] Re: Building under Vinux

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 03:43:56 +0100

I think the problem with dependencies might be my pet hate for many linux distributions. You think you may have installed libxml2, you installed the package for it from apt, but no you have not, or at least not fully. Normally there are separate dev packages for the library headers (don't know what the name will be but it might be like libxml2-dev ).

There are a handful of distributions like ArchLinux where they do not package the headers separate, but most like debian, ubuntu, fedora and their derivatives do.

Michael whapples
On 07/05/2013 03:13, John J. Boyer wrote:
Vic,

Please resend the link to the Vinux suport list. I can't find that
lmessage. Thanks.

You have now run into my favorite gotcha, pkgconfig . Type the
following.

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

To make sure that you don't have to type this again, add it as the last
line to your .bashrc file.

John

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 08:59:47PM -0400, Vic Beckley wrote:
John,

I think liblouis compiled OK. It seemed to install fine. Here is the error I
get when compiling liblouisutdml:

configure: error: Package requirements (liblouis, libxml-2.0) were not met:

No package 'libxml-2.0' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables
BASE_DEPENDENCIES_CFLAGS
and BASE_DEPENDENCIES_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

I tried installing a package called libxml-2.0 and nothing was found.

Best regards from Ohio,

Vic