[bookshare-discuss] Re: pdf files

  • From: "Susan Wojtecki" <wojtecki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:36:26 -0400

Jimmy,
There is a program that costs about $60 for the full version that is
supposed to unlock the security on PDF documents called Advanced Password
Recovery.  There appears to be a demo version for use on smaller files, so
maybe you can try it and see whether it meets your needs.  As Mary said, the
accessibility of these critters varies and I don't pretend to know how it
works.  There are a couple of addresses to which you can send PDF files as
attachments and have them returned as text files, hopefully someone can
steer you to these as I have not done this in a while and can't quite
remember.  However, this cannot be accomplished on locked files since they
usually have restrictions on copying, printing, etc. i recently purchased a
PDF reference on cd-rom which had limited accessibility and found out the
hard way that OpenBook could not help in this situation, so I can only say
it depends.

If you want to check out the Password Recovery program, go to
http://www.elcomsoft.com/apdfpr.html for information. hth.

Susan