[bookshare-discuss] `

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Evan Reese <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 16:03:51 -0500

I do read through every book I scan and it is pretty time consuming. I am glad that you get high quality scans even if you don't read through what you are scanning, but if I tried that very few of my scans would get into the collection. It is very frequent that I have to scan a page several times before it is good enough that I feel like someone who does not have the book on hand could proof it. There are a lot of preproofing tasks that I don't do. That has a lot to do with my deciding that my niche is scanning rather than proofing. But if I was proofreading and found myself looking at the kind of scan that I would do without preproofing I would reject it.

On 11/5/2017 3:27 PM, Evan Reese wrote:

Hmmm, scanning certainly takes less time than proofing, unless I read through every book I scan, which I don't.
As for all the PQ books coming in, there are definitely a great many of them; but I've got a heck of a lot of books here that Bookshare doesn't have, from publishers that are not yet giving their books to Bookshare, three that I'm working on right now are from this year, so they're not just older books.
Then again, I enjoy scanning. I can listen to things while I'm doing it, so it's not as though my scanning time is taken from other things. I'm happy to say that I'm certainly not worried about running out of books to scan for Bookshare.
It is true that there are a lot of rules for proofers. That's a good thing. Those of us who've been around for a while, not just as volunteer scanners and proofreaders but as members who download books, know what it's like to get books that were sloppily proofed, or (apparently), not proofed at all, and it's not a pleasant experience. So yes, there are a lot of rules for proofers, as there should be.
I can scan most books to quite a high quality, but there is no substitute for good proofreading and high quality standards for the benefit of readers who deserve a good reading experience.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Patti Johnson
Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2017 3:08 PM
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: Three asterisks question

Well I don't have the patience to scan; takes too long; and I used to
proof but that got too bogged down  too with rules and regs, so I
quit.
Now that we are getting so much publisher quality stuff, I don't see
the need to proof any more.
Patti

On 11/5/17, Sharon <mt281820@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
To which I cannot subscribe. Some issue with internet provider!
Also, I don't think I ever knew the difference between this list, and the
volunteer list to which I cannot subscribe!
Thanks for clarifying something I always wondered about.
Sharon