[bookshare-discuss] Re: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Garrison Keillor, 5 books in collection and brilliant new movie

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 23:31:46 -0400

Dear Cindy, Nancy, Kelly and Cathy and Keillor Fans,

It's nice that you shared your interest with me. Now that I've committed some of my reactions in writing, I'll check out what the real critics say and may discover my impressions are looney!

Nancy, Since I haven't read anything about the film yet, I'm only guessing, but I think it may be an independent film and may not appeal to mass audiences meaning, make haste if you want to see it now, or bide your time and rent it from Netflix. Being primarily bookish, I don't buy many DVDs, but I'll be buying this one when it is released.

The movie consists of a single program given before the theater is sold to a Texan who is unmoved by the show and just attends to confirm his decision to have the show cancelled and the theater flattened. What we see is the performance and what's going on backstage. I feel as if I've been to see live theater or a concert today.

Nancy, you are going to see PHC in a beautiful setting. Lucky you! And you have his autograph? I'm not an autograph collector, but sometimes, a person is that special to us. I said, Lucky you already, didn't I.

Kellie, I loved your stories as a local and a fan. Be proud of your lilting Minnesota accent. The world is becoming homogenized so fast. We should cherish local accents while we can. In the movie there was a diner across the street from the theater. Do you remember if there was a real diner there?

I missed Ivy Austen, too, and loved the Finnish music.

my brother and his wife made a trip from Columbus, Ohio to see The Prairie Home Companion, live in Minnesota. I confess I was terribly jealous.

About 5 years ago, on one of my most memorable adult birthdays, a friend took me to see Garrison Keillor speak at Akron's largest auditorium. The house was sold out way in advance. Garrison then agreed to let anyone who wanted to attend but couldn't get a ticket to sit in E. J. Thomas Hall, free. Akron University opened it's largest classrooms with TVs which broadcast his talk live, and they, too, overflowed. It was said afterward that the laughter, cheers and applause coming from all directions, from those packed classrooms, echoing those in the auditorium were truly memorable joyful noises.

Downtown, the former Quaker Oats factory and silos have been turned in to a hotel with round rooms. Garrison stayed in one and rambled on and on in his unhurried way about these most unique accommodations. We loved him all the more because something in our small city impressed him.

Kathy, I'd love to hear what you think about the movie either on or off list. I have some downloading and reading to do, too. If only I could convince JAWS to read the Keillor books with a Minnesota Accent. Kellie, are you interested in taping yourself reading the BRF versions for us since you are uniquely qualified?