[bookshare-discuss] Re: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Garrison Keillor, 5 books in collection and brilliant new movie

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 00:15:38 -0500

Well, I don't think my MN accent is thick enough to make reading Keillor
books entertaining. I don't have an accent as harsh as the one Sue Scott
usually speaks with. Some of the MN characteristics, like pronouncing words
like "bag" as if they had a long A, I don't have. I just have the slightly
Canadian-sounding long O, and use some stereotypical MN expressions such as
"Uff Da!" I have a friend from Maine, and he used to make fun of the way I
said the word no. But I got him back--he had a bit of a Downeaster and used
to say "Oh Deeeah!" and when I made fun of him for it he would say "Oh
dearrrrr" instead, which was even funnier. When Minnesotans encounter
something weird but want to be tactful about it they usually say "Oh, how
interesting!" I once said that to a friend of mine from Chicago, and he told
me to stop swearing at him in Minnesotan. <lol>
Ok, enough of the boring linguistics lecture on regional speech. <grin>
Kellie