[bookshare-discuss] Re: Volunteer resources management

  • From: "Nan Hawthorne" <hathorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:07:36 -0700

Fair enough.

nan

-----Original Message-----
From: Evan Reese [mailto:mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 7:00 PM
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: Volunteer resources management

I may be missing something here, but in the year and a half since I've been
volunteering, I haven't seen any volunteers at Bookshare sitting around
"wondering what they are supposed to be doing.". Yours is the first post
along these lines that I have read. When I first joined, it never occurred
to me to wonder what I could do or was supposed to be doing. It was pretty
clear from the web site what Bookshare was, and how books were added to the
collection. With a virtually unlimited number of books yet to scan, and -
usually a few hundred books on the Step 1 page in need of validation,
there's plenty of work for any volunteer wanting to help out, and not much
ambiguity about what needs doing. Now it is true that the exact method of
validation or getting a good scan may be in doubt for some people, but that
is not the same thing at all. Even there, volunteers and staff have worked
together to ensure that volunteer validators get all the information they
need, resulting in the recently released Volunteer Manual. That is a matter
of how a task is to be done, not what should be done. The matter of what
should be done seems to be pretty well understood by everyone. The number of
things volunteers can contribute continues to increase, with scanning,
validating, and now helping to maintain the Wish List. The people who are
doing this last are just seeing a need and putting themselves and their
skills forward. The same with Jake's site. People here seem to see a match
between a need and their capabilities and take on a job. It appears to work
pretty well in an organic way, without a lot of top down management.

Evan