[bookshare-discuss] Volunteer resources management

  • From: "Nan Hawthorne" <hathorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bookshare-Discuss-Freelists. Org" <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:43:51 -0700

Just an aside... if you Google "Nan Hawthorne" one of the things you will
discover is that I have written extensively on the profession of managing
volunteer resources.  I know all kinds of stuff about recruiting, screening,
management of and liability and other issues concerning volunteers.  I not
only have written on it.. about 200 articles I think.. but also had a
training business for many years where I traveled about and trained groups
of volunteer resources managers from Washington, Portland and Idaho all the
way to Washington DC and Norfolk.  There is an audio training on the
CharityChannel wweb site.  In fact, the term "volunteer resources
management".. I coined it and popularized it.  I also founded International
Volunteer Manager Appreciation Day Novenber 1.

That isn't bragging.. I find people in general are pretty unaware that
effective volunteer managment is in fact a profession, so I tend to throw
out what sounds like a lot of boasting just to make the point that there is
something worth knowing about it.

That being said, one of the cardinal rules of managing volunteers is to be
in touch with them, especially new ones, and to get them trained and working
as soon as possible.. so I wonder if I can ask someone to tell me what i am
supposed to be doing?  I say that with an understanding smile on my face.

Nan Hawthorne   hathorn@xxxxxxxxxxx
Freelance and contract writer
nanhawthorne.com
www.nanhawthorne.com