[bookshare-discuss] Re: Scanning with Omnipage 16 Professional

  • From: Karen Harshfield <karenh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 19:04:25 -0700

I also use the software you mentioned (ZoomText and OmniPage 16). I have been using these for quite a while, but I don't really have anything automated yet.

I have a pretty old scanner, which doesn't have a new-ish driver that works the way I like in cooperation with OmniPage. I usually scan a book with my standalone scanner driver user interface, then batch the image files through OmniPage. I usually proofread them sort-of manually, using high magnification ZoomText when necessary, but mostly letting ZoomText read them to me. I alsu run them through Microsoft Word spell checker.

I mostly scan knitting books, which don't have a strict text-only, one column per page thing going on. I like to have the magnified images for my own reference. Lots of tables also.

- Karen Harshfield

At 06:32 PM 4/7/2008, you wrote:
Fellow Bookshare enthusiasts,

I would very much like to scan by own books, both for my own use and for
submission to Bookshare. I have a fast PC with Zoomtext, a scanner, and
Omnipage 16 Pro. I have done some scanning to Text files, and found them to
be nearly perfect. I would like to know if there is a place to go to get
step-by-steps to use Omnipage 16 Pro to scan in a way that the files are
eligible for submission to Bookshare.

Dan Hicks
<mailto:danjhicks@xxxxxxxxx>danjhicks@xxxxxxxxx

"Human history becomes more and more a race
between education and catastrophe."
                                        -- H. G. Wells