[bookshare-discuss] Questions from new volunteer

  • From: Paula Mack <pmack1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:35:28 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I know I should be sending this to the volunteer list, but I'm at work, and
can't remember the name of th list, and didn't see it on the bookshare site.  I
want to be able to deal with this when I get home, so hope everyone will
forgive my asking it here.

I was recently approved to volunteer.  I have begun working towards validation
of
a book, and I have two questions.
The book is complete, and the OCR errors are the usual ones that we all get and
are fairly easy to fix.  There is however, a problem with the pagination, and
I'm
not sure of the most efficient way to fix it, or even if I can.
The file was originally saved in text.  I opened the file in Word in order to
use
the spellchecker. As I work on it, I continue to save in text format. , and of
course,
will save as text when done with this.  Also, I still have the original if it
turns
out that you guys determine that I've done something wrong.
Anyway, as I said the book is complete.  When you go to the end of the book,
according
to the page numbers in the text, you are on page 370 something.  I'm at work
now,
so can't tell you exactly.  However, Word insists that the file only has 355
pages.
Obviously, some page breaks have been lost in translation.  I am sure the book
is
all there.  is there anything I should do about this, or should I leave it for
the
automated utilities that you employ on the Bookshare site.  I am spellchecking,
but would rather not have to go through every page making sure page breaks are
appropriately
placed.  I also noticed a couple of places where paragraph marks appear where
there
should be spaces instead, but for the most part, the formatting seems good.
Any suggestions.  Forgive my dumb questions, but I normally don't bother with
this
when scanning for personal use, so am not sure exactly how to deal with this.
Thanks,
Paula