[bookshare-discuss] Re: OT book Port VS Victor Reader Stream

  • From: lana <lana5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:33:20 -0700

----- source message -----
from: "Bertha A Guerrero" <missmommymomma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
to: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
date: 2007/12/13 02:35:48
subject: [bookshare-discuss] OT book Port VS Victor Reader Stream

There are goods and bads to each.  VRS does not read .brf files.  Bookshare
books must be saved as daisy files.  The voice in the VRS is more pleasant to
listen to1 but that is a matter of taste4  They both read audible, but check
your version.  You need 101 etc.  You will need a card reader for downloading
updates.  VRS will read talkingbooks once you are registered.  Since I haven't
gotten around to that, yet, can't advise you on usability.  Since I'm very
familiar with Book Port, I find it easier to navigate, but that is only a
matter of time.  Book Port does not plan to update to allow digital
talkingbooks.  It isn't won't do4  It's can't do with existing hardware.  If
you haven't learned to love your Book Port
 as I and others have, you will probably find the expandability of the VRS a
benefit
  BP does let you write braille notes, and you can write in words to find;
which you can not do with VRS.  Also
 BP allows you to check your percentage of book read; which isn't always
possible with VRS.  I just downloaded a bookshare book, which, for some reason,
didn't have page numbers.  I had no idea how much more book there was to read.
The internal speaker in VRS is a big advantage.  Transferring audible dot com
books goes tuns faster on VRS than BP.   > Hello All,