[bookshare-discuss] Re: I'm new to this list

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 15:12:26 -0500

The procedure for becoming a volunteer has considerably changed since I registered as a volunteer. I would suggest sending an email to volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and asking about what it entails. Also, on the Bookshare pages near the top there is a link to the volunteer home page. Click through to that and read as much as you can find. Be sure to read the volunteer manual. That may appear to be a bit daunting at first, but it is unlikely that you will do every volunteer job available so you can concentrate on the parts that interest you and eventually learn the rest. Subscribe to the volunteer list. You can find a link to do that on the same page you found this list on.

On 12/30/2011 1:40 PM, Tyler wrote:
How do you sign up as a volunteer?
Tyler Z
On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 13:31:12 -0500, Roger Loran Bailey wrote:

You can request as many titles as you want. The problem is that it must
catch the attention of a volunteer and then the volunteer has to acquire
a hardcopy, scan it, submit it and then it has to be proofread. All that
means that it could take a while before your request is fulfilled if it
ever is. To make a request send it to wishlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx The
volunteers get a weekly email with the list attached. They then browse
the list and if they want to tackle any books listed there they proceed
to do so. It might be a good idea to register as a volunteer too if you
want to participate in getting books into the Bookshare collection.

On 12/30/2011 1:22 PM, Kenny Peyatt wrote:
On 12/30/2011 1:12 PM, Tyler wrote:
Hello, Bookshare list. I am new to this newsgroup, and I am just
curious. Can we request
book titles here? Books to be transcribed?
Tyler Z

Hi tylor Welcom to the list. Yes you can request book titles here but
I think you can request only one title.
Kenny Peyatt
Put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the Subject line.  To get a
subject line.