[bookshare-discuss] Re: Books about writing on Bookshare

  • From: "Elfqueen" <elfqueen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 21:00:08 -0400

Oh my goodness, wow! Thank you thank you thank you! Just got all of them (mad scanner...hahahaha...funny you say that, I'm the mad reader, or perhaps the reader who reads--or rather lives and breathes and is sustained by words--to hold onto sanity in the final days of an insane school year *smile*), and can't wait to start in on them! How did I look for over a year and miss all this? "If they'd a-been snakes, they woulda bit me," to quote a popular saying that I've had said to me countless times by countless relatives...

In the meantime, though, I've heard of some good ones and read two that were phenominal, that spanned everything from sweating and weeping and loving out the first draft of a novel to editing it to finding a publisher--to self-publishing.

First, though, this one is a prompt book and one I'd love to get hold of: The 3 A.M. Epiphany, by Brian Kiteley. (Love the title! don't you? *grin*) And just for fun, if you've never seen it, here's a link to the page on his website where he has samples. One of my friends bought this book from Barns and Noble and fell in love with it (and made the 3 A.M. part into reality, naturally).

http://mysite.du.edu/~bkiteley/exercises.html

The other two that I've come across and really loved are:

Write, Create & Promote a Best-Seller
by Lee Masterson

Write Here, Write Now!
By Lee Masterson & Tina Morgan

These are e-books that can be read with the Adobe reader. I got them from

www.fictionfactor.com

Go to the e-bookstore. There are also enough amazing articles on that site for it to be as good as a really thick book in itself. I just saw they've added a free e-book download area as well, so will have to check that out, and there are other titles in the one above that sound interesting...but I'm tight on money right now.

This isn't a book, but it's another unbeatable web resource. It got me off the ground when I was a timid beginner afraid of doing everything wrong, and is still helpful now, after something like six years (ha, I'm probably still a beginner, but oh well, I don't feel like one anymore).

http://www.caroclarke.com/writing.htmll

But now back to books. I had a huge, long list, of all kinds of books from those filled with random and detailed facts to help with research to prompts to personality tests and evaluations on developing characters, to practical advice, but now it's not turning up. *sigh* Given my Pac-Mate's seemingly voracious appetite and extreme taste for my most valuable and precious files, and complete disregard for any protective measures I take, I shouldn't be surprised in the least, and I ought to be accustomed enough to it by now not to even bat an eye. So, I'll make another one. It may be that one of my friends has a copy; we all were taking notes the day the majority of my list was made. So I'll come up with more in a couple of days, or as I track them down again. Gotta love technology and its lovely surprises. Ha!

Thanks again so much for the book recommendations; I'm so excited! By the way, I think you do a great job with the writer's practice stuff. I hope I can participate this summer when I'm not in school while the meetings go on. It sounds like so much fun!
Blessings,
Nicole

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>