[bookport] Re: removing batteries and possible damaged flash card

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:00:55 -0600

Using a card reader, transfer your files from the flash card back to the computer. Reformat your flash card using the BP. Then using that same card reader, transfer your files from the computer back to the CF card. Let us know what happens. Are you sure you aren't just stuck in the notes folder or something? To get out of it, press star and 0 at the same time. If this is the case, don't feel bad. This is one mistake we all make.

At 02:48 PM 12/31/2006, Karen Harshfield wrote:
Hi folks,

I've spent a few hours searching through the archives looking for a clue to my problem, but I haven't found anything enlightening, so here's my dilemma:

A few days ago, my batteries died. I removed them and installed new ones. My bookport suddenly no longer had any files on the flash card.

When changing batteries, I usually wait 10-15 seconds or so to make sure the unit is completely off. This time, I don't know if I waited long enough.

The bookport still works find with another flash card, so I think the problem lies with the first flash card (which, by the way, is a 1 GB card I purchased about 9 months ago).

I hooked the bookport up using the USB cable to my computer. The possibly damaged card showed no files on it. The bookport transfer program tried to put new Notes and Memo folders on the card. Still no files.

I can look at this card both through the bookport/usb configuration and by plugging it into a flash card slot on my computer. The card still shows about 90% full, which is what it should be.

My first guess is that I have lost my FAT table, but my files are still there. I have no way to access these files, though.

I haven't tried reformatting the card yet, as I have a stupidly slim hope of regaining access to my lost files.

Anybody have any idea what might have happened, or how I could get back my lost files?

Thanks
- Karen

Jeremiah 29:11 - 14 A   .
11 For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me. 14 I will be found by you," says the Lord.