[bookport] Re: flash card

  • From: "Rich Hartness" <hartness@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:06:27 -0400

Hi Marie and list,

I'd like to respond to Marie's inquiry about flash cards and the BP from a
couple of days ago.

I've been using a Sandisk 1 GB type 1 flash card in my Bookport since
January with no problems.  I've been tempted to get a 2 GB flash card
although I've not heard from anyone on this list using anything greater than
1 GB.

I'd certainly vote for the Bookport although I've never used the Book
Courier.  The APH staff is first class and is really good about answering
questions here and acting on user feedback.  Members of this list are very
talented and helpful too.

If you get the Bookport here's a few thing to be aware of:

When you get ready to buy another compact flash memory card, be sure that it
is a type 1 flash card.  There are lots of "flash memory" products that will
not work with the BP.

The Bookport will not work with Windows 98 or 98SE.  You'll need to use
Windows Me, 2000, XP, or later

You'll want to put most of your text and audio files into their own folders
rather than into the root directory of the BP.

It also looks like the unit works best with no more than a certain maximum
number of files in each folder.  I started out putting as many as 150 or
more files into a folder but quickly learned that made moving through the
list of names very sluggish.  I've kept it down to 60 or less and it works
great.  someone else on the list may have a better max files number than the
60 that I've reported here.

The Bookport goes just about everywhere I go day and night.  Lots of times
it's the last thing I hear as I go to sleep and the first thing I listen to
when I awake.  I think It is the best example of any access  technology on
the market today.  It keeps getting better too.  Hard to imagine doing
without it now.

Good luck and enjoy,

Rich