[bookport] Re: double talk

  • From: "Rick Alfaro" <rick.alfaro@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:36:06 -0400

Hi Stacy.

Yes, you actually have a few options if you want hardware based double talk
speech.

1.  The Triple Talk USB.  Although it is called the Triple Talk, it is the
same sound of the double talk speech.  It is a small box that connects to a
usb port.  It has a built-in speaker and can run on a battery, or from the
power of your usb port, or with an ac adapter.

2.  Triple Talk PCI.  These have been discontinued, but you can still find
them on the used market.  It is a card that goes into a free pci slot in
your computer and comes with an external speaker that you connect to the
back of it the card.

3.  Double Talk, and Lite Talk.  These are very old models, but will still
work although they do attach to a serial port.  Many newer machines no
longer have serial ports, so you would have to get a usb to serial adapter
to run one of these models.  Although they are old models, you can still
find them on the used market.

Not sure if I have missed any, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with
more on the subject if I have missed something.

BTW, I have both a Triple Talk PCI and a Triple Talk USB.  I actually
haven't used either one in a while, but they are both very responsive.  The
USB model is very flexible because even if your battery is dead, it will
still work just from the power of your usb port.  If you need to use it on
several machines, the portability is nice.

HTH

--Warmest regards,

--Rick Alfaro
--rick.alfaro@xxxxxxxxxxx