[bookport] Re: Web Braille -- Topic for Discussion

  • From: Dan Keys <dnkeys@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:44:59 -0700

Hello,
Hummmmmmmm!
Where did you get that. I've never read that in the what's aloud stuff.
Dan
On Jun 15, 2007, at 8:22 PM, Barbara wrote:

I figured it out. I used my Kurzweil program as you suggested and was able to download a Web-Braille file. According to NLS, did you know that it is illegal for us to read the .brf files from Web- Braille as text files? How does the group justify this? I justify it by feeling that anyway that we can get books is okay and that we are not distributing them to other people. Is that how everyone else feels? I wish that NLS would change its policy about only reading .brf files in braille form so that I wouldn't feel like I am committing a crime when I read the .brf Web-Braille files in text form. This is a topic for discussion if anyone cares to discuss it. Again, thanks for your help. Now, I have access to one more available reading source. The wonders of modern technology (smile).

  Barbara

Woody Anna Dresner <wadresner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi Barbara,

the easiest thing to do is go to the NLS site
www.loc.gov/nls
and choose the quick Search. Search for a title and/or author, and put the words "web braille" without the quotes in the keyword box. Any results will include links to download the volumes. Before you can download, you have to enter your username and password, and each time you have to accept a pledge that you won't do anything dastardly with the files you download. If you're using a PC, be sure you choose the PC, not the notetaker button when you accept the pledge.

If you happen to have Kurzweil 1000, you can use its online book search facility to find and download from Web-Braille. This has the advantage that book files are renamed to the book title, making it easier to find what you want. OpenBook used to work with Web- Braille, but I don't know whether it still does because the Web- Braille site changes often, and I don't know whether it's kept up with the changes.

HTH,
Anna