[bookport] Re: New to Bookport

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:40:19 -0500

The easiest way is to download the book in the brf format. First thing is to download and install the unpack tool you will find on the Bookshare site. Find the book you want. Download the brf file. You can either choose to save the file or open it when you are asked what you want to do during the download process. I always open the file. The unpack tool comes up automatically. Press the unpack button. You will then be asked for your password. After you have typed it, you will tell the PC where you want to store the book. After pressing "save", just follow the prompts. You can then transfer it to the Bookport as you would any other book.

One tip: familiarize yourself with the Bookport's manual. This will be very helpful to you.

At 09:27 PM 3/19/2008 -0500, you wrote:

Linda,

1.  Find a book on Bookshare.org you wish to download.
2.  Find the Daisy link for the book on that book's page and hit enter.
3. Save the encrypted copy of the book to your desktop, or anywhere else on your primary drive, just as you would with anything you're downloading. 4. Hit enter on that downloaded encrypted copy of the book. You'll be asked if you wish to unpack the book now, and for your Bookshare.org password. 5. Answer the four questions which will pop up... Do you want an html version? I always answer "yes" to this question. Do you want to delete the encrypted version? I always answer "yes" to this question. Do you want to download another book now? Do you want to open the book now?
6.  Now, be sure your bookport is connected via its USB cord to your PC.
7. You'll now have 4 or 5 files with that book's title, wherever you placed the unpacked book files on your PC. Look for the DT book file type and "right click" on it using your simulated mouse. When the context menu opens, arrow down til you get to the "sendto" item... and expand it. Arrow down again til you get to the BookPort option and hit enter on it. BTW, all of this presupposes that you've installed the software which came with your BookPort. The DT file of the Bookshare.org book will now be sent to your BookPort, waiting on your listening pleasure.

HTH

--Barry Levine