[bookport] Re: Implementation of BP for ten year old

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 08:25:50 -0400

Hello:

As someone else has already pointed out, the recorder on the Book Port
is not sufficient for taking notes in a classroom setting--it was just
not meant for that.  One reason is the poor quality of the recordings
and the other is that there is no navigation built into it, so if you
record a note and play it back, you must listen from start to finish.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> white02@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 08/04/06 12:53AM >>>

I have ordered a Book Port for my ten year old son.  He is severely
dyslexic and uses RFB&D for textbooks and recreational reading.  He will
be taking his Book Port to school every day.  I'd like simplify our
implementation so that he can take responsibility for it, as much as is
possible for a ten year old.

Can we, and should we, use multiple flash cards; like one for school
related files and one for recreational reading?

Can we load reading material from more than one PC?  I am thinking that
books will be moved to the BP from his home PC, but other text (such as
from a website) may be taken from a school PC.

If he makes voice recordings, can these files be copied to his PC?

His teacher expects students to be able to take notes from a book.  We
would like to try the audio version of this, by listening to a book and
making a voice recording of important points.  How difficult is it to go
back and forth between listening to a book and making voice recording?

Any advice on simplifying our implementation is appreciated.  Thank
you.