[bookport] Re: Finding a CompactFlash Card

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:21:37 -0400 (EDT)

Bruce

While we are talking about cards, a couple of things to remember:

(1)  Do not buy a card of greater than 2 gb capacity.  The BP, at the
moment, cannot effectively use larger cards.

(2)  CF cards can and will go bad.  So rather than buying a 2 gb card, I
would opt for 2 1 gb cards instead.

Currently, the shipped units are supplied with 128 mb cards which, in the
short run, will be plenty if you are dealing with textual material.
If you are thinking about MP3 files, of course, this is a different story.

And speaking of MP3, one of the uses I have for my BP, that I never
initially thought of, was using it for listening to sermons.
Preachers often tend to speak slowly, and with pauses, and the BP's
transfer software can speech compress the file as well as deal with speech
pauses -- both are user adjustible prior to the actual transfer.
If you end up using your BP for something like this, you might wish to
play around with this.