[bookport] Final firmware fixes?

  • From: emai7s@xxxxxx
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 09:30:36 +0100

I guess at some point this year the firmware for the current Book Port
generation will become final, with any future improvements and new functions
most likely reserved for the unconfirmed Book Port II.

Here are a couple of things I'd really like to see fixed in the current
firmware before APH turns all their creative energies to the next Book Port
generation:

1. Alphabetical listing of files. The Book Port should be able to list files in
alphabetical order. This would make it a lot easier to transfer files and
listen to audio books in the proper sequence. I've tried some of the tricks
mentioned on the list like copying all the files to Windows, putting them in
alphabetical order there and then copying them back to the Book Port, but
without success.

2. Reading file names of unfiltered MP3's. The Book Port seems unable to read
the names of many MP3 files (created with Audiograbber) that I transfer using a
card reader. Instead of saying the file name, the Book Port says a generic
"Track 1, Track 2" etc. This makes it necessary to use the transfer software
for all MP3 files, which is a shame, since card readers are so much faster and
since support for unfiltered MP3's is generally very good.

3. OGG support would be convenient, since I have an extensive library of
materials in OGG format.

4. A proper battery gauge for different battery types. I do think there's room
to improve the accuracy of the Book Port's battery indicator for rechargeable
batteries.

5. Better ability to recover from crashes. A number of users have had to send
in their Book Ports for repair after the units had failed (frequently due to
battery-related issues). Could the firmware be given more self-repair
capabilities, so units could be cold-started by their owners following a
general failure without having to return them to APH?

6. A more accurate and reliable internal clock. Maybe it could be synched with
the notebook's internal clock during transfers?

I would be interested to hear if any of these items are on APH's current to-do
list. The single most important fix from my perspective would be the
alphabetical listing of files on the Book Port, which would finally allow me to
transfer more than one file at a time.

Peter