[bookport] Re: Can a drowned bookport be repaired?

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 08:26:26 -0400

Paula:

Unfortunately, you're right.  Dropping the Book Port in mud wouldn't be
covered under warranty.  It is difficult to say whether or not it can be
repaired, without having it in here to see.  There is a flat repair fee
of $65 for all nonwarranty repairs.  However, there have been some cases
where the fee was more, depending on the damage.  Usually, if moisture
gets inside the unit, it is more difficult to repair, because the board
gets cracked.  If they have to replace it, it could be more.  The cost
of a new unit is $395.

So, there is the news.  I'll let you decide what you want to do with
that information.  I'm sorry I can't give you a better one, but that's
the scoop.
Please let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer
them as best as I can.  Feel free to write me off list with those.

Sincerely,

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> pmack1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 05/15/06 08:11AM >>>
Well, the subject says it all.
My bookport dropped into a puddle and is very, very, dead.
Interestingly enough, the flash card is fine.  I am using it with my
other Bookport.  Is it possible to repair a Bookport after this type of
catastrophe, or is it cheaper just to buy a replacement?  If it can be
repaired, is it possible for you to provide me with an approximate cost?
 Next, what is the procedure for obtaining repairs if the product is no
longer under warranty; (not that a warranty should even cover something
like this:  definitely my fault).

Thanks,

Paula