[bookport] Re: BookPort opens as an external drive in a My computer window

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 09:37:26 -0500

Randy:

This is normal behavior with Windows XP in particular.  Normally, you
can close that window and see Book Port Transfer.  When XP throws up the
window, you can choose the "Take No Action," choice and tab down and
check the box for "Always Do the Selected Action," and it will go away.
If the Book Port Launcher or (BP Launcher) has gotten disabled, then the
Transfer may not load.  Also, you'll want to be sure you're running the
latest version of Book Port Transfer on that particular machine.  It's
possible it didn't get updated.  Or, it's also possible it did get
updated, but the Book Port didn't.  You should be running 2.3.0 on both.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> reborst@xxxxxxxxxxx 12/28/06 11:14AM >>>
On one of my computers, when I plug up BookPort, instead of launching
the BookPort Transfer program, a My Computer window opens, showing
BookPort as an external drive.  All of the folders and files in
BookPort
show up as they should, but of course I can't successfully manipulate
them.

I have to close that window and launch the Transfer program manually.

It's no big deal to me really, I'm just wondering why this would occur
and how I could go about changing it to work as explained in the
manual.

Randy Borst
Director of Disability Services
25 Capen Hall