[bookport] Re: BARD on BookPort?

  • From: Rik James <rixmix2009@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 12:52:06 -0600

Hello Bookport people,

I have been meaning to ask this for awhile.

Several months ago Bookshare made some changes in their Daisy file system. I
don't know the technical things, except how I experience it.

Now as it relates to putting them on my Book Port I find the following
problematic.

First, it seems that now, I must save the extracted Daisy item into a folder
unto itself. It used to be that they could all be in a folder with other
items.

When I put a Daisy item in a folder it seems that it has no longer a
descriptive file name. The book or newsline newspaper will just say
"Bookshare."  All else about the file works okay.

Can someone explain why this is?  And is what I say also your experience
with the Book Port?

I have written the Bookshare folks a note about it, but they said they would
look into it and I did not hear from them again.

I switched my Newsline to get my favorite papers by email, but still use the
book port for books, too, though I find the separate folder for everything
an inconvenience.

I still much prefer my Book Port to other devices for reading my Daisy
format text items.  I like the navigation, the ability to stop and quickly
spell words, the clock with date and time and many of the other numerous
other features. Very sorry, If I have understood posts on this list, to have
learned Book Port has become an obsolete product.  Hopefully you may correct
me on this.

Thanks.

Rik