[bookcourier] Updating BookCourier

  • From: "Andrew Roberts" <a.t_roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookcourier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:49:35 -0000

Hi Listers,

I am using Windows XP Home, JAWS version 5.10, and have the Norton Internet
Security 2004 products installed.  I have downloaded the latest version of
the transfer tool but whenever I select the check for updates option from
the help menu, my Norton Internet Security firewall obviously jumps in to
ask me if I want to allow the program to access the internet.
Unfortunately, when this happens for some reason JAWS is completely frozen
and I am unable to deal with the firewall dialogue.  When I was on a dial up
connection, I used to turn my firewall off temporarily to perform the
update.  However I don't really feel safe doing this now that I am on
broadband.  Is anyone elst using a similar set-up and if so, how do you get
round it other than disabling your firewall or avoiding performing these
updates until you have someone sighted on hand to help you?  I should point
out that I've never had a problem dealing with the Norton firewall other
than when it is asking about the BC transfer tool or, for some strange
reason, JAWS' own authorisation program.  Any chance of some kind of fix for
this?

All the best,

Andrew Roberts